Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just curious

anybody know of a way to check the TCU for fault codes on a 4EAT without being able to look at the power button. For some reason the button doens't light and I don't know which fuse it uses although i checked every fuse. If you know which fuse it is that would be helpfull too.

so are you saying the power light does not illuminate?

Other then a select monitor, there's no other way to check the TCU codes except with the power button procedure.

There's not going to be a fuse for just the power light. If it's not working and the rest of the bulbs on your dash are, the bulb is probably burnt out, in which case you'd need to pull the combination meter out to replace the bulbs.

well see all of the lights in the middle of the tach and speedo are out .....ie... the car that says what doors are open, the thing that says what gear I am in and the manual and power button. The only thing in the middle that does work is the high beam indicator on the car. I was trying to do your diagnostic test and realized I needed to fix this problem first. Is there a fuse for all the lights on the whole dash or just what I listed?

If you do find the problem please post it.

I have the same year car: 1990 legacy awd wagon with 4eat.

I have owned this car for three years with the same problem you are having with one twist: The meter lights and power/manual lights come on every now and then. Maybe once every three months. Especially in extreme temperatures(be it hot or cold). The other strange thing is that the awd system is not working when the lights are out. I know it sounds absurd but we proved it out in the snow on a couple of occasions with lights on and off. I even took it to my local Subaru dealer for a look see and they were completely baffled. They said with the lights out the manual/power button still worked but the awd was not working. They told me to bring it back in when the lights came on and they would recheck it but it doesn't happen at a convenient time.

Sorry to be so winded but I wanted to shed a little light on a strange and unknown Subaru situation.

well....

I did disconnect the battery as promised for hour and a half and sure enough ....nothing changed

Please...Write if you have ever heard why the middle lights (the door open info, the gear info, and the power and manual lights)might be out....even if you have a thought on what it might be