Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ice + LSD + Super Swampers = wet shorts!

FlyB0y

Ok, so I never had a problem b4 with my SS's on ice .... well I can't say THAT anymore :o. I talked Free-Range(Nels) into going up to painted rocks today, what a blast! We went into the dry (well less wet :-p ) lake bed and were doing fine till we fell through the hard top crust of 6"-8" re-froze snow an I was once again reminded of how badly my EA81 is working to turn 28" swampers :eek: . He ran out of clearance, I ran out of power :rolleyes::lol:

So then I decided to take him to annother place I have checked out, and on the way up to a "closed" (read kelly humped) road we saw a couple ATV's and they told me "you don't wana go up there ... the ice is so slick its scarry!" so, of course we went up! (never have any fun being carefull anyway right? :drunk: ) It was icy in a few patches, but no big deal ... then turn one courner up this mountain road and suddenly I'm going slower than my tires are turning .. hmmmm BAD sign :D well I pull over an Nels asks how far up I'm thinking another mile or 2, we both have chains if we need them, but I'm too lazy to goto all that work! ;) well the "closed" road was only 2 -3 more turns up, so I figure, no big deal just a bit farther...

Next I see about going up a kelly hump I was never able to think about trying b4 with my 26" tires, next thing I know, I'm stuck in the "ditch" of the kelly hump after crawling up it for a picture (only up the hill a bit not on top or over :rolleyes: ) Nels has to coach me out of it and I eventually have to gun it in reverse to make the turn with-out the rear-end slidding out and putting me sideways again :clap: . Now after all that, we head down the 1/2" ice covered road, np ... going slow staying away from the cliff side and using the breaks only in short pumps to keep a nice slow crawl .... works pretty good for about 3 - 4 corners, next turn I'm off the breaks but suddenly the rear-end passes the front end! :eek: still crawling at 5 - 7 MPH, but man, that cliff is still steep and scary even if you head for it at 2 MPH :dead: well, I did come to a stop and put it in front wheel drive to get turned around again, no real sliding after that, but MAN I need to bring spare underware next time too! :lol:

I wonder how Khumo Venture MT's do on ice ... :brow:

Yeah, Ice is scaryier on the way down. I took my dad's legacy up one of the local class 6 roads without a problem, it was mabe 5" of snow, but I didn't know it was Ice under it. When I was coming back down, it was a 15mph controlled slide for 1/2 mile down and into the state highway at the end. No amount of pumping and easy aplication would get it to grab enough to slow down. scary.

yo tailgate, took the 91 lego wagon, today, see pic in axle eating post... got the '78 runnin great till the starter crapped out, with the super crappy brakes I don't like how fast it goes, but whatever. I'll just have to get up and goto the junkyard now that it's not super cold...

yup dayn was going for that brown shorts kinda look, btw kumho m/t suck in the ice worse than tsl's, way scary in my old t-wagon with those things on...

-N