Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, First post on this board, hope someone can help. I have a 2004 Forrester with 29,000 miles on it purchased new. This winter I noticed a prolonged valve tap( at least that`s what it sounds like) until the engine gets very warm. 15 to 20 minutes driving. It will tap under load until it warms up and drives me crazy. The thing is it didn`t do it last winter at all. The dealers and SOA tell me it`s normal but I just don`t buy it. Are these valves adjustable? I realize it`s a solid lifter cam but there must be some adjustment. The dealers I called say no. SOA told me a story about the pistons and writ pins being lightweight and a 20 minute tap is normal. Can anyone help me load up with some information before I go back o dealer? Thanks, Tom H

There is a valve adjustment that can be done and its not terrible to do in the car. I am surprised they arent trying to sell you something when you suggest it.
Can you tell me more? It`s still under warranty. I `m great with cars, I`d rather do it myself if it`s not a bear.

Tom, are you sure it's the valves? You may have Subaru's genuine 'piston slap'. That goes away after the engine warms up and other than sounding like a diesel when cold, does the engine no harm. I suspect if the mechanics heard the sound, and it is slap, the answer they gave you, is correct.

I don't like it, but that's the nature of quite a few engines these days. Imagine paying over 50K for a Corvette....their forum is full of piston slap issues, and GM gives them the same answer.

Tom, are you sure it's the valves? You may have Subaru's genuine 'piston slap'. That goes away after the engine warms up and other than sounding like a diesel when cold, does the engine no harm. I suspect if the mechanics heard the sound, and it is slap, the answer they gave you, is correct.

I don't like it, but that's the nature of quite a few engines these days. Imagine paying over 50K for a Corvette....their forum is full of piston slap issues, and GM gives them the same answer.

Pretty certain it is one loan valve. If all of them did it it wouldn`t be so bad. Any way to explain why it didn`t occur last winter?

It is pretty likely to be piston slap. It tends to increase with engine wear and last winter the anti-slap coating may have still been on your pistons. My forester does the same thing only it does not last very long as its not that cold here. Adding a heavier oil helped mine quiet down except for the first morning warm up. If you want to you can adjust the valves easily, but if the mechanic did not offer to do that for you its probably not the valves. If you can make a customer happy with a valve adjustment you would do it. Piston slap is another major step as it requires replacement of the block and then might only cure it for a while. Subaru does have another piston kit but my dealer does not service them that way.