Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I am a newbie to USMB and thought I would post a question before I completely take out my dash which I really dont want to. I am the original owner of a 95 Subaru Legacy L sedan. My question is has any one out there had the problem with the vent doors not opening, what was the reason for the problem and how did you repair it? I can't get the air flow to change from defrost to vent or the feet and visa versa without actually moving the slider levers underneath the dash. I dont know if I should just go ahead and replace the door vent motor or if something is broken inside the heater case. I have already replaced the heater control unit and this didn't solve the problem. Thanks for your help.

I can barely get my hands under the dash to get to the door motor. When I press diferent vent buttons and watch the levers move, they do move but not all the way. When I help the levers move then the levers move all the way. I grease the slots and that seemed to help. I also notice that there is a click or poping like something is binding when I help the levers move. Is the actuator the same as the door motor or are they different? I supose the only way to make this repair is to take out the dash?

Sounds like either the electronics or actuator is busted. I'd try and check the actuator. I'm not sure if the Haynes or Chiltons manuals have wiring diagram info for the vent actuator assembly, but that's probably where I'd suggest looking.

There should be an actuator motor that moves the door. First thing I would do is make sure the linkage and levers move freely. If they do, then it's possible the motor is weak, or it's not getting the voltage it needs to work properly.

Yeah I don't know of another way to get at the HVAC stuff easily without removing the dash.