Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carb trouble

I have an '82 GL Wagon with an EA81 and it was running like crap after much prolonged sitting. Anyway I had had a spare carb on another parts car that had run fine prior to the car being wrecked so I slapped it on the '82 and voilla! The thing runs a LOT better. Trouble is there is still a midrange hesitation. At around 1500-2500K RPM it's falls flat and picks back up above 2500. Is there some obvious thing I am missing or does it simply need stripped down and cleaned?

No idea how long they sat.... Just was willing to try anything to get this goin. I see no choke at all, unless it's only over the primary. Will give that carb cleaner a go and see what gives.......Anyone else with ideas please chime in!

you might check the accelerator pump. carb kits are cheap. you might try a rebuild on the carb.

I second that emotion. I have several carbs lying around for my Soob and I always try make sure I have a freshly rebuilt spare on hand in case I need to do a swap. One observation I have made is that with a little creativity and some trip to Home Depot you can make a Hitachi carburetor much for "field maintainable." With a little patience and care you should have no reason to be afraid of diving right in and doing a rebuild. Inspect everything and figure out how it works, your problem will soon become apparent.

Is it possible (on a weber or carter, as my carb doesn't seem as complex as the hitachi), to just take the top off with the carb installed and give all the jets a good carb-cleaner hosedown?

Now why would you want to do that? :grin: I'm willing to bet it would be less hassle just to pull the thing. If you don't have a spare gasket to reinstall it you can just go buy a roll of the right gasket paper and cut your own. A carb is tedious enough to mess with on a well lit bench. My lower back would be hating me if I tried anything on it installed.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers