Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WEBER Start-up hesitation...ONLY WHEN CAR IS SHUT DOWN IN 4WD

I have been doing a bit of firewood collecting in the areas of prescribed burns and need to keep my '85 GL wagon in 4wd high when it gets shut down so that I can get out of the woods with a full load of Juniper. I've begun to notice that the engine is having a bit of trouble firing up when the car is in 4WD. I have never had a problem with start up hesitation in the past. The ea82 engine has a weber 32/36 and is running on 87 octane.

The car will fire up fine if it is parked with the car in 2wd.

Any ideas on what might be causing this problem?

Also...can someone please enlighten me as to the proper method of engaging the car into 4WD LOW. The car does not have a manual to describe how to. Also how can I keep the car from slipping out of low while driving? (without using my right hand to hold it into place) Are there bushings...does the 4WD need to be serviced???

----

Neal

You mentioned keeping your hand on the shifter- so the car is a dual range with the lever-style shifter? That would eliminate it being a possible vacuum issue, as that 4WD system has no vacuum connections.

Stupid question, but... you ARE pushing the clutch in when you start the car, right? Even with it in neutral?

The hi/lo shifter can indeed be adjusted, and if it's hitting the body, it can pop out of lo. I can't remember how to do it, but I know others here can...

Also, the car doesn't have to be in 4WD when you start it up. As soon as you move the lever it goes into 4WD; it doesn't take 10 feet or whatever that some 4WD rigs take to lock the hubs.

As to why being in 4WD would cause startup issues... not sure. Have you made sure all your grounds are good & clean?

Also, the car doesn't have to be in 4WD when you start it up. As soon as you move the lever it goes into 4WD; it doesn't take 10 feet or whatever that some 4WD rigs take to lock the hubs.

As to why being in 4WD would cause startup issues... not sure. Have you made sure all your grounds are good & clean?

More often then not if I start up the car in 2WD and then try to switch into 4WD high I get a painfull whirring / grinding / noise from hell when my foot comes off the clutch and the car goes no where. The only way i can get the car to move then is engaging the lever (85's did not have push button) into 4WD low, and holding the lever in place.

You mentioned keeping your hand on the shifter- so the car is a dual range with the lever-style shifter? That would eliminate it being a possible vacuum issue, as that 4WD system has no vacuum connections.

-> that is very good information!!!! thanks!!!

Stupid question, but... you ARE pushing the clutch in when you start the car, right? Even with it in neutral?

Yes i am pushing in the clutch. Not that it matters though because the car will try to turn over without the clutch in.

The hi/lo shifter can indeed be adjusted, and if it's hitting the body, it can pop out of lo. I can't remember how to do it, but I know others here can...

Im going to consult my chiltons on this one....but any beta on success doing so would be great.

-

neal

big bad hoopty, the logger,

4low issue:

I'd bet your trans mounts are toasted, or the little bushing in the 4wd lever is wasted(like I was recently), either way, have somebody sit in the car and shift in and out of 4wd, hi, low, the works. If the whole trans moves around it's the mounts(go get some from your local yard, or pay me a bunch of $$ to get you some for cheep then add on a huge friend tax),

if it's just wiggle room in the shift lever then you can adjust it, it's a 12mm nut that will allow changing the throw of the lever... on passenger side...

The starter issue:

Grounds, clean and inspect all of them! maybe even add a few for good measure.

One thing to try is to unplug the plugs that go from your trans to the car, one is the 4wd indicator light, the other is for the reverse lights, neither should effect the drivablility of the car, but in your case the 4wd is messing with startup? so unplug them and see if problem goes away, if not you can thank me for having to climb in your car and pull apart two PITA plugs, remember push the plugs together first, then pull them apart, don't ask why, it just makes them come free easier.

Mmm winter wonderland over here.

big bad hoopty, the logger,

4low issue:

I'd bet your trans mounts are toasted, or the little bushing in the 4wd lever is wasted(like I was recently), either way, have somebody sit in the car and shift in and out of 4wd, hi, low, the works. If the whole trans moves around it's the mounts(go get some from your local yard, or pay me a bunch of $$ to get you some for cheep then add on a huge friend tax),

if it's just wiggle room in the shift lever then you can adjust it, it's a 12mm nut that will allow changing the throw of the lever... on passenger side...

The starter issue:

Grounds, clean and inspect all of them! maybe even add a few for good measure.

One thing to try is to unplug the plugs that go from your trans to the car, one is the 4wd indicator light, the other is for the reverse lights, neither should effect the drivablility of the car, but in your case the 4wd is messing with startup? so unplug them and see if problem goes away, if not you can thank me for having to climb in your car and pull apart two PITA plugs, remember push the plugs together first, then pull them apart, don't ask why, it just makes them come free easier.

Mmm winter wonderland over here.

N baby!!!!!!

Hola from Mexico....70 degrees and up during the day (on the gulf of california). I'll be sure to check the plugs when i get back to AZ in feburary...thanks for the BETA on location of the 12mm passenger side nut...im sure thats what it is but if not ill be sure to call you up to source me some mounts.

Adios from the land of sun and surf.