Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Forester shift problems? (long)

OK, This has only happened a couple of times and not for a long while, but I am getting ready to sell the car and don't want the new owner to have any nasty surprises. (I like the person)

At times it had been very hard to shift from neutral to first, then also up through the gears. Almost like the clucth wasn't engaging, but it was. It's a very young clutch and TOB. And has a new slave cylinder.

Now here is the kicker. The last time it did this to me, when I finally forced the thing into gear and let out the clutch, it made VERY expensive banging and grinding noises. I immeadiatly put the cluch in and coasted to a stop. Trying to find my cell phone and credit card and to call AAA. I knew something must have broken.

I decided to try it once to see what would happen and it shifted and drove just fine. In fact, it's been 6 or more months with out any shifting problems at all!

Any ideas?

Thanks. I was wondering about motor mounts or something like that.

Not quite, about the time a slave cylinder goes out the master can fail. On my 99 Forester I have replaced them both in sprite of the TSB that says to replace slave. hoses, and washers. Change the clutch master cyl.