Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Type of manual Tranmission oil????

well the tranny in my impreza blew at 188k miles.. itz a 5 speed stick tranny.., so i just picked up a 88k mile used Tranny for it.. my question is what is the best Tranny oil to run in there to keep it lasting a long time to come!!! syntenic?? just notmal 75W90?? lucas, addatives?? any info would be GREAT!!!!

thanks

It really depends. You'll find tons of tranny fluid threads on http://forums.nasioc.com/forums on what people like and what works well.

I've tried dino oil, and 2-3 different synthetics and I'm running a cocktail mix right now. If you search for "Uncle scotty cocktail" on NASIOC, you'll find more info about it, but essentially it's a mix of GM syncromesh fluid (I used penzoil), redline lightweight shockproof, and castrol 80w90 gear oil.

I had grinding issues to some extent with all other fluids. I don't have them with the cocktail.

The only consistent thing I've found on subaru transmissions is that they are not consistent. Certain fluids will work good for some people, while they don't work for others.

well the tranny in my impreza blew at 188k miles.. itz a 5 speed stick tranny.., so i just picked up a 88k mile used Tranny for it.. my question is what is the best Tranny oil to run in there to keep it lasting a long time to come!!! syntenic?? just notmal 75W90?? lucas, addatives?? any info would be GREAT!!!!

thanks

Check out this thread, I am all about Redline myself.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41827

Well, having also tried a number of oils and having a passion for Castrol "Syntorq" for a long time, I have recently been introduced to

Valvoline Synpower 75W-90

It cured a 2nd to 3rd grind that Castrol couldn't improve on.

A local Danish rally driver suggested this oil, he uses it his race cars and the gearboxes last 120k miles. Evidence enough for me :-)

I have tried a number of tranny fluids over the past 28 yrs in my Subarus. Dino ALWAYS works. My only complaint is being in the north, winter cold shifting is difficult at first startup.

I tried the synthetics also, to try to make winter cold shifting easier but they usually ended up with shifting crunching. So far I have come across only 1 that shifts EASILY when cold AND does not cause any synco-smashing. That is Redline Ultralight Shockproof. Yellow mustard colored. But after a year in MY04 Forester 5sp, I can tell you, it's as good as dino as far as no shifting crunch AND easy easy shifting in the cold. I know what their site states about using it in transmissions, but if you talk to their Reps, you get a different answer.

My opinion, experience and $.02

Ferret, that's interesting. I've been using the mustard Superlight Shockproof in my rear diffs this last winter and can feel MUCH improved rolling resistance during that first mile on those cold mornings.

I also swapped-in the blue Shockproof in the front diff on my 4EAT car with good results.

I'm gonna have to give this some thought. :brow:

Blitz, When I talked to the Rep over a year ago, the Ultra-light was weighted at 75-90. That's the weight that Subaru recommends so that's why I chose the Ultra-light yellow over the regular shockproof Blue. I don't remember it's suggested equivalent weight was, but it was heavier than the Ultra-light.

If I'm reading correctly, the shockproof stuff has an actual viscosity and what Redline calls a greater equivalent protection owing to a unspecified solid high-pressure additive. According to Redline:

Red Heavy Shockproof has a viscosity of a 75W-90, but is equivalent in protection to a 75W-250.

Blue Regular Shockproof has a viscosity of an SAE 30 motor oil, but has the equivalent protection of a 75W-140.

Yellow Superlight Shockproof has a viscosity of ATF with equivalent protection of a 75W-90.

**** ******!

Ferret, that's interesting. I've been using the mustard Superlight Shockproof in my rear diffs this last winter and can feel MUCH improved rolling resistance during that first mile on those cold mornings.

I also swapped-in the blue Shockproof in the front diff on my 4EAT car with good results.

I'm gonna have to give this some thought. :brow:

I've got Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 in the front & rear diffs of my Legacy, along with the RP ATF in the power steering. In single digit weather there's nearly no difference in the 'feel' of the car compared at startup compared with warmer mornings. It was definitely worth the small investment in 3 quarts of oil to switch the car over.

Redline Power Steering Fluid made my PS system leak like a sieve though, I wouldn't use it there.

I don't know about the Shockproof stuff, but Redline 75W-90 for synchros did not work too well in my Subaru.

Valvoline will not dissappoint!

I run 75W90NS in all my roos and so do most of my freinds.

Below is conversation between myself and Redline.

>I am trying to figure out what type fluid I should run in my vehicle

>manual transmissions. I have used your MT-90 in multiple vehicles

>with great success.

>

>My question revolves around running a GL4 transmission fluid in a

>Subaru where the transmission and front differential share the fluid.

>

>The factory recommends using GL5 fluid but I have run GL4 in most

>all my manual box and the difference between running GL5 and GL4 is

>night and day, with the GL4 working sooo much better.

>

>What type of fluid would you recommend I run in a Subaru with shared

>transmission and front differential?

>

>Thanks

Richard,

In your Subaru transaxle where the GL-5 gear lube is called for I

would recommend the 75W90NS, I would expect the shiftability to be

close to the MT-90. The NS fluids have no friction modifier so are

not to slippery for the synchros the problem with most GL-5 gear

oils. The 75W90 would be suitable for the rear differential.

Regards, Dave

Red Line Oil

What makes the problem worse is that big gumby bushing.

The movement is so squirrely that many times it's impossible to find the middle shift gates 3 &4.

**** ******!

Yeah, well I would start with the bushings before doing lots of different fluids. I've got kartboy bushings for the front and rear mounts, and custom bushings in the shifter joint linkage. It definitely feels better.