Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange bearing squeal

On my 81 GL d/r, I have a strange bearing noise on cold start up. It's a high-pitched squeal, and the tach jumps all over the place while it happens. I'm thinking it's the distibutor, but I haven't been able to isolate it. Has anybody had similar problems? Along the same track, if it is the distributor, I still have the one off my 82 DL 2wd wagon, is that distributor a drop-in, or will I need to re-wire things?

It sounds like you have a distributor busing going bad; take the cap and rotor off then try moving the shaft forward, backwards, left and right. There should be a very minimal about of movement.

The distributor for an 81 4wd would be the early style Hitachi if I remember right. An 82 2wd would have a Nippondenso distributor. If you had the later style Hitachi in the 4wd, this would be a straight swap but for some reason I think the early style Hitachi is a little different and it would require connecting or disconnecting something else to make it work.