Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 legacy outback sensors on fritz

Update:

I was able to pull some trouble codes:

• P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
  • P1101 Neutral Position Switch Circuit Malfunct
  • P1121 NPS Circuuit High Input
  • P1540 VSS Malfunction 2

I played with the brake/stop switch located mounted on the break pedal lever and was able to repeat at will the symptoms described below, although this time the noise is definitely coming from the vacinity under the driver side dash and more of a squeak with buzz.

So I'll f*** with it a little more, and start testing/swapping out sensors. Any advice would be appreciated.

Adios: WoodChip

Original message below:

Hi all, Questions for the grease/elictrical monkey gurus:

symptoms:

• manual transmission; car coasting in neutral under 30mph
  • apply breaks
  • car momentarily (approx 3 seconds) loses all power, all dummy lights flash on; particularly noticeable at night when headlights fade to nothing
  • brief faint sound (harmonic grunt/buzz) is audible from under dash or engine compartment area; car never stalls, or loses any gas power

Any ideas? I initially thought alternator, or ABS system (because of power loss during breaking).

I'm off to plug in a code reader and see if I can pull anything helpful from the computer; I'll check back to see if there are any replies shortly.

Muchas gracias........WoodChip

PS The cars original owner had an old school cell phone charger installed, wondering if this might be shorting something out?

I'd check all the grounds and make sure they are good. Sounds like a bad ground or short that is taking power when the stop switch is made.

I had a 90 Loyale that if you push the kickdown solenoid in - gas to the floor- it would take the voltage meter to 8 V and sometimes blow the fuse. After much TS I found a shorted wire in the dash wire bundle. Many of the grounds are tied together as well as some power circuits.

Thanks, I'll keep posted with the progress....electrical problems are too much like a choose your own adventure book......you can always reach an end, but was it the one you were looking for?

I'd check all the grounds and make sure they are good. Sounds like a bad ground or short that is taking power when the stop switch is made.

I had a 90 Loyale that if you push the kickdown solenoid in - gas to the floor- it would take the voltage meter to 8 V and sometimes blow the fuse. After much TS I found a shorted wire in the dash wire bundle. Many of the grounds are tied together as well as some power circuits.