Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Outback-Clutch Slipping

I want to do whatever I can prior to taking it to service but Ive never messed with a clutch before. Ive been suspecting a problem for the past couple weeks (dont drive the car much) but was confirmed the other day.

Ive looked at the manual and see no mention of clutch fluid which someone suggested a low level as a potential cause.

Is it run with or as a part of the master cylinder?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

We need to hear more about you symptoms. Does it slip in high gears? Does it slip when changing gear?

If the cable is too tight - or dirt is blocking it's movement - you can get slip during shifts even though the clutch is fine.

Less than 125k miles on a clutch would be unusual.

If it's a cable clutch, which I think it is, you can possibly adjust it to get a little more out of it. You can find the adjustment nuts on th ebackside of the intake manifold. If you back the nut off a couple of turns you should notice a difference in where the friction point of the clutch is in relation to the pedal.

Hope that helps

We need to hear more about you symptoms. Does it slip in high gears? Does it slip when changing gear?

If the cable is too tight - or dirt is blocking it's movement - you can get slip during shifts even though the clutch is fine.

Less than 125k miles on a clutch would be unusual.

I had suspected it for the past few weeks on acceleration just after shifting into 3rd. There has been a subtle difference from the norm at the highway merge where it is a slight hill, not too steep, but the other day after releasing the clutch in 3rd and accelerating it really slipped with RPMs going nuts before I backed off the gas. I have not really tested it for any other patterns. That seems to be the only place Ive noticed it. Starting from a stop seems just fine.

And oh by the way .... 145K miles.

Thansk