Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 96 legacy with 190K. For over a year now, it's been having trouble starting. Without rhyme or reason it will just click. Then if I talk nice to it, it will eventually turn over. Also, if I remember to park on a hill I can pop start it. In addition to this there have been some strange electrical issues. Occaisionally after it won't start my radio resets. A couple of times while driving, when I hit the breaks, the radio will die, no juice, but then come back on, even if I keep the break depressed. I replaced the battery and had the alternator tested, but still won't start consistently. I just talked to someone else with a 96 who has the same problem. Anyone heard of this before? My next plan is to do plugs and wires and then take out the starter and have that tested, but living in Portland I have to wait for a dry day.

I have a 96 legacy with 190K. For over a year now, it's been having trouble starting. Without rhyme or reason it will just click. Then if I talk nice to it, it will eventually turn over. Also, if I remember to park on a hill I can pop start it. In addition to this there have been some strange electrical issues. Occaisionally after it won't start my radio resets. A couple of times while driving, when I hit the breaks, the radio will die, no juice, but then come back on, even if I keep the break depressed. I replaced the battery and had the alternator tested, but still won't start consistently. I just talked to someone else with a 96 who has the same problem. Anyone heard of this before? My next plan is to do plugs and wires and then take out the starter and have that tested, but living in Portland I have to wait for a dry day.

I'd suggest the issue is most likely starter solenoid contacts. As for your radio dying during braking, probably a separate issue. Sounds like poor radio contacts too then. The connector behind it might be jiggling while breaking.

I've been having the same problem w/ my 97 OB. I ended up replacing the solenoid contacts & it got worse so I figured it must be the starter possibly a bad connection throught there. I got another starter & I thought I was good but now (2 weeks later) it did it again just like you said a clik. I figured that clik is the solenoid contacts getting closed but no start. The battery is ruled out since when it does work it cranks right up, no hesitation. Alternator is fine I'm measuring 14.2V with engine running. So I'm running out of ideas. It maybe related to the rain as it was out in the rain today. I do not have any other electical problems. Would the alarm have anything to do w/ it? But if the solenoid closes then there is nothing else in the way from what I know.

Previous starter was not working when hot, after the engine was running for a while & I thought for sure it was the solenoid.