Ultimate Subaru Message Board

headjobs are so fun????????????

well just finished putting new heads on my 88 gl10t. even after reading all the posts on this subjectI neglected to blow out all the galleries on the cam towers. I learned a lesson though . just because I was very careful in putting on the sealant between the cam tower and head didn't mean that it was a cinch,not by any means. after pulling r head I found no (visible) reason my lifters wouldn't pump up. so I started to blow air everywhere in the oil system, and behold a blob of three different colors of sealants came flying out of the main journal for the cam tower. this must have been in the system since before I got the car. I really didn't like the thought of having this possibly happening again so I found a way around the goop. I went to the oring building kit and got a long oversized piece, some superglue gel and some clamps. I placed a small dot of glue and began stretching around the groove placing dots of glue ocassionaly. the I placed my support oring with a couple more dots of glue. put her back in the car , not a problem yet.

post-11639-136027605994_thumb.jpg

post-11639-136027605999_thumb.jpg

post-11639-136027606001_thumb.jpg

post-11639-136027606002_thumb.jpg

post-11639-136027606004_thumb.jpg

i wouldn't use super glue for engine purposes. i'm not sure why the superglue was needed. if it was only to hold the reinforced o-ring in place, the best solution for that is small dabs of high quality grease or engine assembly lube. any o-ring should be lubed with oil or grease before installation anyway, so best to cover it in grease, install and then put a small dab on top of it to hold it in place.

if the issue is the cam case sealant, the proper way to avoid this is to use anaerobic sealant. if you use anaerobic sealant on the cam cases, that would prevent any glob issues as it washes away and disolves in the oil which is why it is recommended in the first place.