Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newby w/ Coolant Leak

Evening, I am a new member to the forum with a 86 Loyale and suffering thru a few aged car issues. While reviewing the failing emissions and carb rebuild, I have discovered a coolant leak in the intake manifold. The leak appears to be coming from the bolt that locks down the drivers side intake manifold and the fuel line support. This bolt is on the inside of the manifold adjacent to the coolant ports and the threaded hole might tie into one of the coolant chambers. So my concept/question is...Is it possible for the intake to leak around this bolt or should this be considered an omen that a new intake is in my future?:banghead:

Leeboy

Working on the various ea82s I have, I've never used any sealant on the gaskets or the threads of the intake manifold/bolts........ Might just be my good luck though............ Or maybe having all of the extra bs availible to confound Murphy........ Don Pictzie

All the local shops and the subaru dealership have told me not to use any sealant on the gaskets. Just make sure that the intake and the heads are very clean and flat with no gouges. I just recently swapped intakes on my EA81 so i know what is involved. I got lucky on the passenger side as most of the gasket stuck to the intake that i wasnt going to use anymore but the entire gasket decided to stick to the drivers side head. so i got a scrapper and went to work. You want to be careful here not to gouge the metal seeing as how it its aluminium. I used plenty of gasket remover spray from NAPA and the scrapper to get as much of the gasket off as possible then i ended up using sandpaper and a block to get the rest of the gasket off. Basically you want to see nothing but shinny metal when your finished. Also i found with sanding...it went a lot quicker spraying some gasket remover on the sandpaper and sanding the heads that way. Just make sure that you end with a smooth surface. Dont use an abrassive grit of sandpaper. I used something like 400 or 500 then skipped to 1000 or more wetsanding paper to get my heads nice and clean for the new gaskets. Also u should throw a paper towel in the intake hole of the head so that you dont get crap down in the engine while your sanding. Once your all done with that just put the new gaskets in dry making sure that both surfaces are clean and dry. Torque bolts down to spec and you should be all set. Hope this helps. Mine is leak free and runs great.