Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subie broke down - need input

good thing you got out of that shop, and fast. Payment plan is the tool of the wallet rapist. Another thing to consider is the keyway on the camshaft. If the key sheared, the pullly could have rotated on the cam. Definiatly an issue beween the distributor rotor and the crank pully, so left side of the engine.

Take off the top end cover on the timing belt left side, and start from there.

Can you explain a bit more about the keyway. I'm not sure what that is. If someone has a picture, that would help.

Thanks.

./steve

Do you have the plastic far drivers side cover off? Once you do that, things will get easier to diagnose. It's not hard, and if the captive nuts strip out in the plastic, just pry the front cover off with a screwdriver. DO NOT DAMAGE THE REAR COVER. that is where the timing mark is.

Totally agree with this school of thought...

If you are in this for the long haul, do yourself a favor and ditch the covers. The only purpose they serve is to prevent lawsuits for Fuji - and to make $$ for Subaru dealerships.

Once you get to the "baseline" level of maintenance on these cars, it's smooth sailing. The timing system is a weak link, and running naked covers is what nullifies this deficiency - at least from a maintenace standpoint.

good luck, John

I'm "working" late tonight, so I haven't had time to get the covers off. I only just got the car back into my garage this afternoon.

I'll let you guys know as soon as I get them off, and have a chance to tell what is going on with the timing belts, etc..

Thanks!

EDIT:

I did try to remove the timing belt covers right after the car broke down before I called for a tow, but I wasn't able to get them off because as was mentioned the brass screws are spinning in the plastic...bother.

./steve