Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gl, Broken turbo should I buy?

Just wondering what I should check out? How much is a turbo to fix? Can you get replacements? I should make sure there isn't the typical knock in the engine?

I really want a Dual range wagon so I can get it set up to take me where I want to go!!

my turbo was pretty shot in my '89 RX so I upgraded to a WRX TD04 turbo. Slight modifying is needed to fit it in but I would also recommend putting in a top mount intercooler from a WRX as well.

As for a dual range, you can get a turbo tranny thats a dual range in either a Full Time 4wd (basically AWD) or a part time 4wd so you have 4 hi and 4 lo but also have 2 hi as well. I actually have both. The part time came in the '85 '86 RXs and some of the GL-10 sedans. My part time came from an '85 GL-10 turbosedan. I also have the full time in my RX as well. Only the RXs and some of the 3-door turbo coupes came with the dual range full time tranny. The other option is to swap in a naturally aspirated dual range 5 speed but you'd also have to swap the rear diff as well since it has a different ratio. The turbo's came with 3.70 diffs whereas the NA trannys and rear ends are 3.90 diffs. The main difference between the turbo tranny and the NA tranny is the fact that they have the different diff ratios but also the turbo tranny has a 25 spline DOJ where the NA tranny has a 23 spline. I've heard that a turbo car with the NA tranny and rear end make it really spunky....