Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bridgestone RE92A replacements

I took the RE92A's off my new OBW at a little over 500 miles and put snows (Nokian RSI) on. Soon I'll have to mount tires on my other rims.

The RE92A's have a poor reputation in winter. But their rain performance seems more mixed - some people happy, others not. I want a good-performing rain tire with decent wear. On tirerack, the only tire rated worse in the wet is the Firestone Firehawk.

Are they really that bad? I have to say I drove them once in the rain - and they hydroplaned pretty readily. I think I can get $150 to $200 for them on eBay.

I took the RE92A's off my new OBW at a little over 500 miles and put snows (Nokian RSI) on. Soon I'll have to mount tires on my other rims.

The RE92A's have a poor reputation in winter. But their rain performance seems more mixed - some people happy, others not. I want a good-performing rain tire with decent wear. On tirerack, the only tire rated worse in the wet is the Firestone Firehawk.

Are they really that bad? I have to say I drove them once in the rain - and they hydroplaned pretty readily. I think I can get $150 to $200 for them on eBay.

On my 05 OBW, I didn't find them bad in warm weather -rain/wet conditions. Probably not as grippy in the rain as I would like. Their treadlife (25K) and snow traction suck however (IMO).

In an attempt to stay with or near the speed rating/summer performance of the Potenza's I opted for the Yokohama H4S - partially because I like the Yoko Avid Tourings on my older OBS (only "S" speed rated and not a performance tire), and partially the price difference against the likes of the Bridgeston Turanza's (expensive), and partially from the favorable reviews on Tirerack. So far (9k) I like their 3 season performance. I think their rain traction is a bit better than the Potenza's, but again, snow traction is not as good as the reviews on Tirerack indicate.

I'm considering buying a set of steel rim and mount tires more dedicated to snow for next season - still researching.

I noted your reply in the other thread from SubeeTed on the Nokian WRs. If you find something you *really* like in a performance all-season, or dedicated snow, please share.

The traction is decent but only on dry. Wet is only fair like you said. After saying that I have to say that they lasted 25000 miles without accident on my car. It's your call.

How long have you had yours? What do you think of them?

I got them last spring for my other car. Best summer tire I have ever had. Very good wet traction.

Haven't tried them on subaru though and not sure I will, cause I'd have to go +2 in tire size and get a new set of rims and that adds a lot to a price. Also I'm pretty sure if you go driving on wet muddy road/gravel/sand - they would suck.

///I noted your reply in the other thread from SubeeTed on the Nokian WRs. If you find something you *really* like in a performance all-season, or dedicated snow, please share.

I put Nokian RSI's on my Subaru because they were so great on the Honda accord V6 last winter.

They have held up well, 11/32nd tread left after 3,600 miles.

We put Michelin X-Ice on our Quest minivan and they're quieter than the Nokians, but the Michelin dealer himself said the Nokians last longer. They're a good tire as well.

Bridgestone RE-950 worked good for me...a little noisey tho.

**** ****E*!

The 950 is a great wet and all around tire. I've run them on other vehicles.

I"m currently running the Yoko EB100 on my Subie and am very happy with them. I do run a dedicated (Hakka 2) snow tire for the winter though.

Jack

The 950 is a great wet and all around tire. I've run them on other vehicles.

I"m currently running the Yoko EB100 on my Subie and am very happy with them. I do run a dedicated (Hakka 2) snow tire for the winter though.

Jack

950 is an allseason tire, although some people use it as summer tire. They should not be driven in snow though.

Don't you mean es100? Yeah, I heard some positive reviews about them. I currently searching for decent summer tire for recently purchased 96 legacy wagon, and these are one of the few choices I have without going to a plus size.

I'm almost at 40k miles on my RE-950's and I'm still saying good things about them. As stated; great all-around summer tire, wet or dry, but also as stated ...not brilliant in snow. I do use a separate winter tire.

I'd kinda like to try out those Goodyear F-1's after I finish-off the 950's.

**** ***A**!