Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Post Here, I picked up a 97 Legacy Wagon this past week and have been very impressed with it thus far. The factor cruise control lever seems very sticky in that when you press down on the lever to set your speed, it slowly creeps back up to it's resting position. Also it only sometimes will actually set the cruise speed, most of the time it is me pushing it down several times to try and make the electrical contact so that it sets the speed. Once the speed is set, the system works great. I have read a few other posts but nothing relating to my issue. I'm thinking that I've narrowed it down to the lever and I tried getting in the wheel opening where the lever sticks out to clean it but it didn't seem to do anything, i.e. it still feels sticky and doesn't engage well. I'm thinking of taking apart the steering wheel cover and seeing if I can get at the switch and hopefully it is easier to get into and clean. Has anyone ever had experience with this issue, I'd appreciate any advice or help.

Welcome to the board!

Sounds like something may have gotten spilled into the switch. I think you’re on the right track, maybe some type of spray cleaner sparingly sprayed into the base of the switch would help and save you from taking it apart?

Welcome to the board!

Sounds like something may have gotten spilled into the switch. I think you’re on the right track, maybe some type of spray cleaner sparingly sprayed into the base of the switch would help and save you from taking it apart?

Yeah thats sort of the route I was thinking as well. Does anyone have any ideas to what sort of cleaner would work good for this application and not disrupt any of the electrical connections? I read something in an earlier post about 'contact fluid' but I can't find anything when I search the net.

Yeah thats sort of the route I was thinking as well. Does anyone have any ideas to what sort of cleaner would work good for this application and not disrupt any of the electrical connections? I read something in an earlier post about 'contact fluid' but I can't find anything when I search the net.

Go to Radio Shack and ask for contact cleaner. It comes in a small spray can and may solve your problem.

Well, I took out the switch today and took it apart. What it needed was some more grease in the spring-plunger area. She works like a charm now. Now I've got an airbag light on and I'm not sure why or what to do about it. Any thoughts?

Ended up being that little green switch on the airbag switch module. I dreaded going back in there to fix that, but hopefully now I am completely finished with it.