Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Aircon smells like gas!

Our trusty 2001 Outback has started to smell like gas only when the air conditioning is turned on.

Is there anything we should check? I'm a total car-newb, but willing to learn.

It's cold out here in the Northwest this week (granted not as cold as other places, but still…), hence I have been outside since I got sick :(

Thanks!

You are most likely smelling anti-freeze, not fuel. It is cold up here in the PACNW and if you're air-con is on it's because you're defrosting your window on high and blowing the air directly in your face. That's why you notice it. I'd check for a cooling system leak.

Juan

We've been defrosting for over a month, and it only recently appeared.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, however, so where exactly should we check?

I hope you didn't take my post wrong. I re-read it and it seems a bit cold (no pun intended). I'm just throwing out an observation of past experience.

I really don't know where to check as the last time I experienced the situation was on my '68 Firebird.

Juan

iomatic,

Have you had a chance to brave the cold yet?

The other connections I think you were asking me about are on the opposite side of the engine in the same basic place. I just tightened the clamps on either side of the rubber fuel line that connects the metal lines together. There are 4 hose clamps altogether-2 for each side.

As mentioned by Juan, the reason you smell it more when defrosting is that it blows directly into your face. You just have to figure out if it's gasoline or antifreeze. Mine smelled of gasoline, just like when you fill the tank. Antifreeze has more of a sweet rubbery like smell.

Just remember-don't over tighten any clamps, just snug them up and recheck later. Or even better, if you locate the problem you could get a mechanic to service it.

Yes, I did indeed check the other side as well (cough, cough), and tightened what I could (not overtight, just enough torque to make it not feel loose). One of the clamps on the passenger's side engine looks very difficult to get to (the screw head is toward the block, and there's only a small space to tighten, but I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the help all. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.