Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Warping Rotors a recurring problem...??

I had this problem on my last car, a VW GTI VR6. THousands of dollar of expensive break jobs later one mechanic discovered a bent spindle.

So effectively the rotors were eventually with time and or heat conforming to the warp in the spindle.

Who knows if that's your problem but it could be worth a shot.:banana:

My much-abused 95 Legacy L AWD wagon (4 discs) had slightly warped rotors approaching 90,000 miles. I could feel a slight pulsing when I braked hard. The pulsing got worse near the end but my brake shop mechanic (Meineke) told me it was nothing to worry about and I eventually replaced all 4 rotors at 122,000 when they were completely worn down. I used stock/generic parts and at 150,000+ there is no warping.

I hauled a lot of people and gear around and spent a lot of time speeding through hubcap deep standing water, bumper high snow, and dinged up the underside (oil pans, cv boots, etc). At 150,000+ there is no warping now and I just use stock/generic parts. After reading the posts on this board, I’ll stay away from deep puddles now...

Are you properly bedding in the pads on the new rotors? stoptech:

i have had the same problem with my 99 OBW, i always baby my brakes downshifting and planning my stops so i coast. i think i've been too easy on them. i've picked up a pulsing when braking and it's making me nuts. after reading the above article i went out and hammered my brakes a few times, seems to have gotten rid of a lot of the pulsing, i think it was pad deposits on the rotors. leaving tonite for reno so i'll stop taking it easy on my brakes and see what happens.

Our 2002 LL Bean OBW had the orginal rotors turned once by the dealer (under warranty). Then , I replaced the rotors (warped again) around 75,000 miles when I did the front pads in April 2006. They may be developing a warp again as I'm starting to feel a shimmy when braking. Will get the tires balance first then see if that improves anything.

In My Opinion, (to be clear), pad deposit is the biggest cause of the "warpage" feeling in the brake pedal, and again IMO, is caused primarily by drivers standing on hot brakes in traffic. If they left a little following room, and actually crept forward a little when they arrived at the stopped line of traffic, the pad woudl deposit more evenly.

The other main factor is tires. Tires that are driven hard go out of round and tilt against their rolling diameter.

In short, IMO, people who drive hard and poorly wreck their gear.

But then again, today I am cranky.

:mad:

Our 2002 LL Bean OBW had the orginal rotors turned once by the dealer (under warranty). Then , I replaced the rotors (warped again) around 75,000 miles when I did the front pads in April 2006. They may be developing a warp again as I'm starting to feel a shimmy when braking. Will get the tires balance first then see if that improves anything.