Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's going on with the soob? Diagnosis?

What's going on with the soob? Fuel Pump Diagnosis? Hello, everyone - I've been gone awhile, life/job/kids/etc....you know how it is.

Well, the soob in my life (which until recently had been running like a champ, torque-bind notwithstanding) has decided to run progressively poopier the last month or so.

Yes, some basic health care for my car might be the answer, but I went ahead and changed a new fuel filter and air filter as well as oil/filter change about a month ago, and nothing really changed performance-wise.

Here's what she's doing: Starts up fairly well, no big smoke cloud, but randomly erratic idle (very lopey/bumpy - then smooth), and when I drive off, unless I am super-gentle on the accelerator (I'm talking bEYOND imagining an egg under the pedal) she stutters and pops a bit, kind of backfiring sounds....then it goes away, just as soon as it starts!

On the road, she's smooth on the hi-speed end, but in stop-go city driving, she's erratic again.

clues: I replaced the main oil seal and timing belt and that was done by me, and it's holding up fine, timing seemed just fine, although I haven't shone a light on it...

the throttle body is'nt leaking fuel or anything

all cables/accelerator linkage seem smooth and not binding...

last clue: my starter switch is acting up as well; sometimes it takes twenty turns of the key until something fires, others, the starter kicks right in. I bought a terminal kit for the starter, but haven't put it on yet.

my theories: OK, the basics...spark plug wires, plugs, (but they were replaced recently also), coil, fuel pressure regulator, bad fuel injector, ?

car is a 94 Leg Lsi with non-turbo 2.2 and AT/AWD....156k miles

I'm thinking fuel pump, myself....

thanks!:D