Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have read in recent thread, (don't recall which one) about a TSB on Timing Belt Tensioner for 00-02 2.5L. My 02 Legacy L Wagon is not under any recalls (as far as I know), but how do TSB's relate to my vehicle? Are TSB's like a voluntary recall? How do I find out what TSB's are valid for my vehicle and does there have to be a problem with my Sub for me to bring it in for maintenance on a TSB related item?

A TSB can be a recall or just a notice to dealers that if a person comes in with a certain problem, they can follow procedure A or replace part B to fix the problem.

Your dealer will have any TSB's on your car, you can just talk to them....or I believe they are on the nation traffic highway safety's site or something like that.....never can get the acronym right.

A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is a manufacturer-approved fix for X problem. They are not related to safety (I can't think of one off the top of my head that is) and are not government mandated. TSB's can either be paid for by the manufacturer (if the vehicle is still under warranty) or it is up to the customer to pay them. Recalls can be either voluntary (manufacturer mandated) or involuntary (government mandated) and are special because they usually involve A) the safety of operators/occupants directly and B) are done at the expense of the manufacturer, regardless of age of the vehicle, even if all normal warranties are expired.

http://www.nhtsa.org/cars/

ever since my dealer tried to screw me with the alternator costs on my 97 Legacy, even though it was under recall, I live by this site (and I don't go to that dealer anymore) :banghead:

there may be other sites, but this one's kept me pretty up-to-date for recalls... but for TSBs, I dunno how to find those out...

I use to look at alldata.com, but it appears that it's not as updated, doesn't give you as much detail nhtsa site (unless you have a login I think). nhtsa has TSB's too, there should be a sperate link.

Speaking of recalls, anyone have the recall done for the breakage of the rear subframe because of rust? Not sure if it's a new one or not. But my '02 OBW just got it done, that undercoating sure smells strong, and i think they got some on the exhaust, guess it will burn off.