Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blown A/T Seals 86 GL 10 Turbo

I have a 86 GL 10 Turbo, SW, A/T, 4WD. I brought it used. So far that I know of, the Oil Seal behind the Torgue Converter has come out 4 times. Thus ATF all over. The last install was from a Tech who works on Subarus. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Original Subaru parts have been used. The last install lasted 14,000 miles. Is their something I am forgetting to replace? Does the A/T have a Pilot Bearing for the Torque Converter? Does the Strator Shaft need to be replaced as well as the Oil Seal and Bushing? Any ideas would be helpfull

the only issue i can think of is to check your VENT hose and vent orifices at the top of the transmission. these vent pressure from inside the transmission. if this vent hose or orifice was plugged somehow that could build pressure internally that needs to be relieved somewhere and could put too much pressure on the backside of the seal.

if the venting isn't too blame, this is very strange, it's strange anyway. i have no inclination as to what the problem would be, but i'd probably do all of the following to make sure it doesn't happen again:

first the seal is held in place by the transmission. i would thoroughly check that mounting area the seal is pressed into. i'd mic the the entire diameter, sounds suspicious if it's not holding.

then be sure to get a Subaru OEM torque converter seal and make sure it's for the right transmission. (it should be, not a ton of variance there).

the only other thing related to this seal is the torque converter shaft riding through the middle of it. suppose it's out of balance or something? i'd replace the torque converter with the shaft and flexplate if you can find them. post in the parts wanted forum.

good luck and i hope you can resolve this.