Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stalling + Hesitation. TPS code. Fixed???

88 FWD Sub. DL 1.8L w/TBFI

Symptoms: Car occasionally stalled on a cold start, often initially lacked power when accelerating from stop. CEL ON when started and at stop, CEL goes away when accelerating and normal driving conditions (i.e. increased RPMs).....

checked codes and Throttle Position Sensor code came up. tried to adjust sensor on throttle body by rotating sensor unit. assuming sensor was not recognizing when throttle was closed....not much luck.......

My fix: increase idle RPMs slightly from 700 to 850. No more CEL. car doesn't stall, still slight hesitation when initially accelerating, but better.

....am i setting myself up for problems w/ Cat conv. in future? any ideas? anyone ever have to adjust/replace a TPS sensor?

I agree, I futzed around with mine for a long time and problems kept coming back until I gave up and replaced it. You could try spraying some cleaner into the TPS to see if it helps, but I doubt it will work. It sounds like you have a worn spot on yours, if so, it really can't be fixed.

Fairly easy to replace, but don't buy a new one, they are really expensive. Instead get one from a junkyard or from someone here on the board.

There are (at least)two types - one has three wires coming in and the other has 4. The one with four has the idle switch in there with the TPS unit. Make sure you get the right one.

Thanks for the tips, they are really expensive I've looked....for now I'll try the WD40 trick, and if not I'll replace. Oh, I have the 4 pronger type.

I agree, I futzed around with mine for a long time and problems kept coming back until I gave up and replaced it. You could try spraying some cleaner into the TPS to see if it helps, but I doubt it will work. It sounds like you have a worn spot on yours, if so, it really can't be fixed.

Fairly easy to replace, but don't buy a new one, they are really expensive. Instead get one from a junkyard or from someone here on the board.

There are (at least)two types - one has three wires coming in and the other has 4. The one with four has the idle switch in there with the TPS unit. Make sure you get the right one.

• 5 months later...

Belated update on TPS. Adusting idle worked for a while, but as predicted by another above, it came back....although it is still working, and I'll stick with this mickey mouse fix until I can't drive it. Those TPS units are expensive!

Next order of business? Body work. fun, fun. Ahhh I love the smell of bondo in the morning!

WC