Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rough idle/sparkplugs

My '87 GL wagon seems to idle a bit 'lobey'... kinda rough. As a quickie check while it was idling, I pulled the plug wires one by one off the disty to listen for a difference. I had a couple that didn't seem to really affect it when I pulled them (HINT: use insulated pliers... I got zapped a couple times).

So it seems maybe I got a couple cylinders that are missing.

Plug wires look pretty good. I'm wondering about fouled plugs or something.

What's the favorite plug for an ea82? I'm going to run get some plugs today. Whether that's the fix or not, it won't hurt. I probably ought to test compression while I'm at it. The engine has almost 200,000 miles on it.

What's a reasonable compression range to be at and what #s indicate it is time for a ring job?

Tracy

NGKs are pretty decent plugs. I'd go for the platinum, but just the cheapest platinums.

As far as compression, you need to be more concerned with even numbers between the cylinders than basic compression numbers. Look for one cylinder being lower than the others by more than 10%.

It's also far more likely that you'd need a valve job than that you would need rings.

NGKs are pretty decent plugs. I'd go for the platinum, but just the cheapest platinums.

As far as compression, you need to be more concerned with even numbers between the cylinders than basic compression numbers. Look for one cylinder being lower than the others by more than 10%.

It's also far more likely that you'd need a valve job than that you would need rings.

Thanks Subarian.

Tracy