Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi all, well i finally sold my honda and bought a 99 OBW, limited, 72K, in great shape. i'm a little nervous about the 2.5, but it made the trip from portland just fine.

Now, the only real problem i have with it is the drivers side power mirror.(heated). It doesn't move...it makes noise but nothing happens, and i can't move it manually. i've searched and can't find anything on it.

does anyone have any idea on the difficulty of dissasembly, or will it have to be replaced? thanx for you input

:banana: hi all, well i finally sold my honda and bought a 99 OBW, limited, 72K, in great shape. What an awesome car. i'm a little nervous about the 2.5, but it made the trip from portland just fine.

Now, the only real problem i have with it is the drivers side power mirror.(heated). It doesn't move...it makes noise but nothing happens, and i can't move it manually. i've searched and can't find anything on it.

does anyone have any idea on the difficulty of dissasembly, or will it have to be replaced? thanx for you input

Congrats on the new OB! I hope it works out just fine for you. As for the mirror. There are two small swivel shafts dead centre of the mirror that allow for its up and down, back and forth movement. Outboard of each of these small shafts is one threaded actuator shaft, that has a ball joint in a socket of the mirror itself. When the switch is activated, one of the threaded shafts is wound into or out of the motor base to tilt the mirror. If you hear the motor working, but nothing moves, either the threaded rod has come out of its socket in the mirror, or the gear to drive it is stripped. Since you can't move the mirror by hand, it is much simplier to just change the mirror for another out of the junkyard. Basically you pull the door panel, undo three nuts holding the mirror, disconnect the wiring harness for the mirror, remove the old one, and reverse the procedure with the new one. The only downside is if your mirrors are painted the colour of the car's body. Then you'll have to change the body shell of the new mirror for the old one. It is a pain to do, but it is possible with patience. Good Luck!

The only downside is if your mirrors are painted the colour of the car's body. Then you'll have to change the body shell of the new mirror for the old one. It is a pain to do, but it is possible with patience. Good Luck!

Only if you have a 2nd generation Outback (2000-2004). They switched to swing-away mirrors in the 2nd generation, and used body color shells for the mirrors. In the 1st generation Outbacks (1995-1999), the mirrors are not swing-away, and all of them were black. Just look for an outback limited, since those came with the cold weather package.

Only if you have a 2nd generation Outback (2000-2004). They switched to swing-away mirrors in the 2nd generation, and used body color shells for the mirrors. In the 1st generation Outbacks (1995-1999), the mirrors are not swing-away, and all of them were black. Just look for an outback limited, since those came with the cold weather package.

well...it's a limited so it has body color mirrors. also...there is a tweeter mounted on the inside, i'm assuming that it just unsnaps, or are there screws holding it on, i couldn't see any

hi all, well i finally sold my honda and bought a 99 OBW, limited, 72K, in great shape. i'm a little nervous about the 2.5, but it made the trip from portland just fine.

It should move manually, put a thumb on each side of the mirror glass left and right and gently push in, then try top and bottom, it should rock one way or the other ( it will make a ratchety sound). Get the mirror to midships and then try the power. Sometimes it gets beyond its travel and doesn't move at all with the power switch.

It should move manually, put a thumb on each side of the mirror glass left and right and gently push in, then try top and bottom, it should rock one way or the other ( it will make a ratchety sound). Get the mirror to midships and then try the power. Sometimes it gets beyond its travel and doesn't move at all with the power switch.

it is pretty much in the middle, i've tried to move it (my ranger will click and move if i push it) but it doesn't want to budge, i don't want to really torque on it for fear of breaking it, it's usable now.