Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Some Guidance with a 1993 Legacy

Okay I have checked just about everything that I know how to check. I am an amatuer mechanic at best, and out of the 20 mechanics here in town that have been recommended to me, not a one works on subarus.

Okay here is the issue I am having. I have a 1993 Subaru Legacy. I was driving it home on Thursday night and had less than .3 miles life to the house when I started to here a light knocking noise. I figured that I could make it home. I did and turned the car immediately off. The next morning, I went outside to warm the car up before work, and it will not turn start. It turns over and "acts" like it wants to start. So I start checking belts (just changed the alternater and timing belts three months ago), I checked the water full. I checked the oil and it was low... I put a quart in. Checked it again... it was about 1/2 way. So I put another quart in... and it was WAY past full. Now I did not notice any smoke or anything that would point towards cracked seals, oil pump or anything... but that bothered me.... Also the noise I heard the day before is bothering me as well.

Now Can anyone shed any light on this so I will know which direction I need to start searching in. At this point, I am thinking that I may have to play mechanic, so if anyone has an idea. Oh, I checked the air filter and it was relatively clean so I discounted that.

Advise for the future: between the low mark and the full mark it is one quart. So if it was half way inbetween, you overfilled it half a quart. Some engine's are really sensitive to overfilling, will smoke and blow seals out, as welll as causing areation of the oil, but I think you'll be o.k. If you are concerned, you can try to drain out just a half quart from the pan by being quick with the plug.

Start with the basics. Does it have spark when it's being cranked? Pull one of the wire off and put a spare plug in it and rest it on the head or a bolt and have a friend crank it while you watch. If it has spark, unclip the air box and pour a bunch of gass on the air filter. Not recomended practice, but hey it works. Then crank the engine and see if it will start.

Are the fans on when the key is in the run possition, but the engine hasn't started?

The car acts like it wants to turn over. The spark plugs and wires are only 6 months old with less than 12000 miles on them. I checked the air filter again and traced the hose back to where it mounts on the engine. There was oil on the eletrical connections beneath this. I am about to head to the auto store to see if I can find something to clean this off and charge my battery as it is dead. Prior to disconnecting the batteries, I noticed a whirring sound near the center of the engine even with the key not in the ignition. This sound was there right after I attempted to turn start the car again. I have not tried the gas yet. After I charge the battery, I will be trying this as well.

my check mark goes beside

the fuel injection thermosensor

pretty cheep less than .5 C note

but a bit of a pain to change

This being at fault will cause the rad fans to run after an attemted start and sometimes cause the fans to run continuiosly when the engine is running.