Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CD/MP3 player + outside temp gauge install pic

In my ole '98 Legacy wagon I've finished installing a Verge CD/MP3 player I got off of ebay for $36. This unit sounds WAY better than the stock OEM radio, and it brought my CDT coaxials in the front doors to life. I also added an outside temperature gauge from www.egauges.com, a Cyberdyne one. This went in the lower DIN slot. I had to trim the top and bottom of the plastic container in the lower DIN slot to get the gauge to fit. This lets me still use the right hand side of the slot to hold my wallet when I drive.

The temp sensor is currently below the pass. headlight where the air intake gives a little air flow at idle. I need to add a little heat shielding to prevent it from giving false readings at idle when the infrared off the engine gets it.

My only major complaint is that the LEDs on the gauge are way too bright, even in daylight. I have some sheets of neutral density filter I got off of ebay for $10 that I'm going to experiment with. Once I have the right filter to cut the brightness I'll cut it to fit over the LEDs and will glue or tape it in place. I also would have gotten the LEDs in green if I had known Cyberdyne made that so it'd match the speedometer etc. lighting better. Oh well.

The install looks better in real life than this poor quality cell phone pic shows:

gauge.jpg