Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SCREECHING! A/C in my 93 Loyale

^^---Yes, when i press the "Max A/C" button it makes a SCCRREEEEEEEECHCCHCHHCHCHCHCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! noise for like 20 seconds and then stops......

I'm 99.99999% sure its the belt, it looks good, as far as the rubber... it seems to be fairly tight/tensioned. I guess it could be a bit tighter...so how do i tighten the belt? Make it dummy-proof because Im only 16:headbang: pics are appreciated.

Tyler

The inner belt is kinda tricky to tighten the first time...

You'll have to find the idler pulley that only the inner belt rides on.

There is a large 12mm Hex bolt, as well as a 12mm pivot bolt you may need a short extension to reach.

You'll have to loosen both of them. I've had the best luck finding something narrow and long to push down on the pulley while I tightened the hex bolt. Once it's snug you can tighten the pivot bolt.

Agreed, loose belt, but you may need a new one. Cheap belts will stretch and squeal quickly, so get the good stuff.

I use a metal horseshoe stake to pry mine into position to get it good and tight. I also found it easier to tighten if you take the alternator off so you can get in there to it a little better, but I usually don't do it that way.