Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto Steering problem

As I mentioned in attached image I have a clearance on my driver side tie rod. So is not ball joint from my tie rod end and from what I now is no way to use adjusting screw because it cannot be clamped(is maximum clamped).:mad::mad::mad::mad:

So, what can I do now. From what I now, in the driver side is no bushing or something like in passenger side.

Please help...

Thank you all.

post-6990-13602760735_thumb.jpg

Inner tie rods can be changed without replacing the rack. You will need an inner tie rod tool to replace it.

Can you PLEASE give me few details......there is on marketplace a repair kit or what??

I have a steering box picture bu I don't now what is the inner tie rod....

Thanks a million.:confused:

where your arrow points and says "here i use my hand to shake"...that's the inner tie rod. it connects to the rack underneath the boot.

here is a picture of a set on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-XT-Coupe-Turbo-85-87-Front-OEM-Inner-Tie-Rod-Set_W0QQitemZ8043773358QQcategoryZ33593QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you'll notice the threaded ends that extend beyond the boot. the other end is the part "inside" the boot where you seem to have some play.

where your arrow points and says "here i use my hand to shake"...that's the inner tie rod. it connects to the rack underneath the boot.

here is a picture of a set on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-XT-Coupe-Turbo-85-87-Front-OEM-Inner-Tie-Rod-Set_W0QQitemZ8043773358QQcategoryZ33593QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you'll notice the threaded ends that extend beyond the boot. the other end is the part "inside" the boot where you seem to have some play.

Man, you really are a Master:). Thank you so much and all guys for replyes and HOPE that will be the problem.

Thank you all for your time.:)

i highly doubt you'd have to remove the steering rack to remove the inner tie rod. i've never done it, but i've removed/installed a number of steering racks. i would be very surprised to hear differently. should be a fairly straight forward process. the outer tie rod is only attached by one bolt, so once you remove that it will dangle down freely and you should have access to the inner rod and boot as needed.

i highly doubt you'd have to remove the steering rack to remove the inner tie rod. i've never done it, but i've removed/installed a number of steering racks. i would be very surprised to hear differently. should be a fairly straight forward process. the outer tie rod is only attached by one bolt, so once you remove that it will dangle down freely and you should have access to the inner rod and boot as needed.

Thank you:)

It's been a number of years since I wrenched on an older gen Sube, but they typically have more working room around the ends of the rack than most cars. The inner tie rod tool I mentioned in a previous post slides over the tie rod after the outer end and rack boot have been removed. The appropriate sized insert to fit the flats on the rack end is locked into the end of the tool, and a 1/2" breaker bar is inserted at the other to unscrew the tie rod from the rack. If there is sufficient working room, the tie rod can be removed/replaced with an open end/adjustable wrench.