Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Millenium series Legaback report

The process:

OK, in the ongoing de-Brightonization of our 2000 wagon, I ordered Outback struts & springs from Jamie (YAY Jamie), and the locally owned tire store installed them yesterday. Bid time four hours (that's what it took them on the '95 Legacy switch-over ... actual time NINE hours!). Not happy, but they are honest so they will stick to the original estimate. Apparantly getting the front springs clocked correctly took three times on-&-off. The local Subaru dealer refused to give them any help over the phone (why am I not surprised).

Also, if you do the switch, order all the bushings, plates etc. new. According to the mech they were hell to get off the old struts.

The result:

The car actually looks higher than an Outback, since there is no GM induced cladding and body panels on it. Looks a little off with the Legacy tires, and it will be at least another year before they need replacing, maybe two as well as they are wearing. I figure I can go up at least two full sizes nextr time.

After driving it twenty miles or so I can say. "BOY, did our car ever need new struts!" The wear is insideous, and sneaks up on you. When you get new suspension ... WOW! Rock solid, firm but not harsh ride, and no rattles.

The good:

The Pretty One loves it (Isn't it great when your wife ASKS you to lift her car?), much easier getting in and out (anticipating the next time her back kicks up).

The not-so-good:

Everything I ever said on this board about Legacies being better driver's cars is true. It's just no longer has that riding-on-rails feeling it had before, even with worn shocks/springs. It feels solid and fully under control, but lane changes and uneven pavement/puddles in the tire grooves at high speed really transmit with the three inch higher CG.

That said, it's just going to take some getting used to, and it will be MUCH better in the winter ... less snowplowing with the front valance.

When I've got the car and my camera I'll find a stock Legacy and park next to it and take a pic of ... The Legaback! :clap: