Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej into a 84

84_gl_rally

Hi,

There's lots of info on HOW to do this swap available through a quick search, so I will answer your question about how hard and how long it takes.

You'll need an adapter plate and redrilled flywheel. You can buy it or make it yourself. If you buy an adapter plate, swapping in the EJ is about as difficult as doing a clutch job yourself. I sell the adapter plates for $185, and do flywheel redrilling for $75.

Wiring is somewhat difficult and fairly time consuming. ShawnW on the board will do your wiring for $200. Well worth it. It can take a week or more to do yourself.

So basically, it's pretty easy... doable in a couple of weekends. Of course there are lots of little issues like radiator hoses and gauges and stuff that will take some time.

BTW most people who do swaps into EA81 subes will swap in an EA82 5spd D/R at the same time. This is a nice upgrade, but not a requirement. You can keep the 4spd D/R and swap in an EJ. Let me know if you want more info on how to do this...