Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Diagnosis suggestions for H-6 stalling?

2002 Outback H-6 with 33k miles. Regular service oil changes.

Initial start when cold, the car will sometimes idle poorly and then die. restart and the car appears to run o.k. Drive the car and sometimes when you come to a stop in traffic or at a light, the car will simply die.

Took it to the dealer (still under extended warranty) and the replicated teh problem once, but then it stopped happening. Guy says he drove it home and again on Monday and it wouldn't happen. We picked the car up and this morning the problem resurfaced. Its being towed back to the dealer.

The car was due for an oil change on its first trip in for this problem, so we also had the system 'flushed' since it seemed beyond dirty and sludgy. This seemed odd since the oil was changed 3k ago at the 30k service. We're the second owners and though the previous service records seem very complete, it appears it was used for a lot of short trip stop and go driving.

Any guesses on cause? Suggestions to diagnose? Things to request from the dealer service to nudge them along?

Thanks,

Bernie

I'd suggest they check the IAC valve first.....it may be gunked up and sticking.

How does the car run otherwise?

Runs fine otherwise.

My problem is their 'methodology' for diagnosing the problem. It happened once for them. Now it wont repeat, so they seem stumped.

The service guys response is that he's 'not getting any codes'.

This same problem is being discussed under the thread titled "No start on cold H-6" so you should read that if you haven't already.

I saw that. I'm not getting any CEL, so I'm guessing its different. Also, that car is a flood recovery vehicle. Me thinks that might have something to do with it.

Thanks

Since the wiring has been in water then I would clean the connections of various suspected trouble areas. I don't think this trouble will be too hard to find if it stays bad long enough. Since it corrects itself easily, it seems a connector is at fault somewhere.

Since the wiring has been in water then I would clean the connections of various suspected trouble areas. I don't think this trouble will be too hard to find if it stays bad long enough. Since it corrects itself easily, it seems a connector is at fault somewhere.

Ha... you talking about my car or the guy in the "No start on cold H-6" thread. My car hasn't been in the water. :grin:

I think I just need to be patient with the dealer and hope they can figure it out. Its only been a week. :-\