Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Forester Rear End Noise

80,000 miles, automatic

A quick metallic sounding buzzing occurs from the rear INTERMITTANTLY when accelerating. It does it both while driving straight and turning. Its not a heat shield.

This is my girlfriend's car, so I dont know much about Subarus and cant tell if its the rear diff, bad wheel bearings, etc. Did a search and nothing really matches what I'm hearing. If anyone can give me a push in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Most likely would be a failing wheel bearing - or two. The rear bearings are the main weak-link on that generation of Forester/Impreza.

Apart from needing a hyrdraulic press to remove the bearing from the hub, it's not a complicated job.

But whether you DIY it or not, the rear bearings the place to start.

brakes grabbing? perhaps a warped rear rotor? when my bearings went/are going i've never gotten a squeak persay... well... only when it had completely failed, and the axle was floating in a sea of bearing juice... (metal bits + grease = bearing juice) but when you reach that stage its' more of a screaming death like sound.... :eek:

brakes grabbing? perhaps a warped rear rotor? when my bearings went/are going i've never gotten a squeak persay... well... only when it had completely failed, and the axle was floating in a sea of bearing juice... (metal bits + grease = bearing juice) but when you reach that stage its' more of a screaming death like sound.... :eek:

The brakes arent grabbing at all. Rear pads are OK. I would have thought if it were a bearing problem it would be a constant noise when the wheels are rotating...not just during acceleration.