Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil in bell housing

Hi all,

I'm replacing the engine in my brothers 87 wagon, and when I pulled the engine, I noticed quite a bit of oil in the bellhousing. I know the rear main seal was leaking because it's soaking wet behind the flywheel, I also know this is pretty common. It almost looks like it's leaking from the trans input shaft also. Is that common? Is it just a matter of a seal and gasket replacement or is it more involved. Also, where can I get a good clutch? Napa? Autozone? Carquest? Are they pretty comprable? Price?

Thanks for the help.

This site is tremendously helpful by the way.

Rear main seal leakage is very common. Definitley replace it. I have put in a clutch from Napa and was happy with it. Seems like the price was $150 ish for the kit. Since the motor is out, are you going to replace some of the other seals? Be a good time to do it.

Rear main seal leakage is very common. Definitley replace it. I have put in a clutch from Napa and was happy with it. Seems like the price was $150 ish for the kit. Since the motor is out, are you going to replace some of the other seals? Be a good time to do it.

I'm replacing the entire engine with a reman from CCR, so I hope most of my seal problems will be taken care of. I'll check Napa on the clutch, thanks.

when i did the clutch in my 79 brat the seal coming from the trans was leaking in mine...

for me to fix it i had to competely take appart the trans since the seal is put in on the trans side and not the bellhousing side...

so its hard to do... the seal is cheap... like 3 bucks... but as long as you go slow and take notes and stuff it should be ok...