Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 ob 2.2 man. turn, no start. Help

Ok, I have a 96 legacy outback 2.2 manual with 155k. Occaisionally, the car will not start (on again, off again problem). The engine turns normally, but will not fire. I replaced all 4 plugs and wires with new (when the car was running). When it does not start, I do not have any spark at any of the 4 wires. I have swapped out the igniter and the ignition coil with no avail (both second hand). The check engine light is not on, and so there have been no codes to help guide me.

I have seen advice on other threads regarding cam angle/position sensors, but I got the impression their failure would give a check engine light warning. I have a Haynes repair manual and have been trying (unsuccessfully) to use it to locate a starter/ignition relay.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

John E

Well, I replaced the crank position sensor today on lunch, and viola, the car started right up (the Autozone did not have the cam position sensor). $25 part and 10 minutes.

After it started, the check engine light came on. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reconnected, and took it for a test drive and the light went off and stayed off.

Thanks for the help! Good to see another upstate NYer around.

John E