Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got 55k on my 2002 MT5 Outback now, and the clutch is still working fine, but... its just not enough clutch for what I use my car for. I would love to be able to slip my clutch a bit to pull my light boat out of the water without having it smoke, or simply dropping it on a slippery ramp and spinning my wheels whithout worry that the clutch will lose its grip if I am too aggressive. My stocker is also weak doing the light off roading that I enjoy.

So, I searched for about an hour on here, and a couple hours elsewhere, and found good info over at ACT, but wanted some first hand reports.

Obviously I don't race, but I need more clutch in a streetable version.

I see that ACT offers the HDOO, which is an organic clutch material with a heavy duty pressure plate. They also offer a 4 and 6 pad race clutch with a heavy duty pressure plate.

Any opinions on the HDOO? Is this organic material more heat resistant than the original material? Does the plate have signifigantly more bite upon full release under heavy load?

The HDR4/HDR6? I assume the material is much more heat resistant. Does it withstand repeated overheats like my OEM organic clutch without failing? Are they driveable on the street?

Bottom line, I need more pressure, better heat resistance from my pads, and driveability on the street with a decent life expectancy (60k minimum).

Any opinions experiences appreciated, or just point me to a thread that discusses this that I can't find :)