Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Justy Rear Half Shaft Question

Hi, new here and fairly new to the Justy. So I bought this car end of last year, runs great but has a few problems. Front CV joint was making noise so I repaired it. Fixed that, and I knew I had another noise in the rear. Well I drove it till it got worse and narrowed it down to one of the rear cv joints. So I got a new one, put that in... fixed that problem. Or at least I think I fixed it. The next day I drove it and noticed a noise like a bearing in the rear. Jacked it up and there was play on that same axle. I think what had happened is I used the e-brake to hold against the drum so I could tighten down the castle nut without the axle rotating, and I think the e-brake made it hard to tighten up. Anyway, I got it tighter, no slack up/down or sideways. Still have the noise though not as bad. Any ideas, I haven't jacked it up and ran it yet, but will. I may put another quarter turn on the castle nut too but I had to really crank on it with an 18 inch breaker bar to get it as tight as I did. I have a Chilton's manual and the directions are something like "tighten it, then tighten it 1/3 more"... pretty vauge anyone one know the torque specs on this or have any other ideas?