Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Add an Sub/AMP to a 05 Stock Legacy Radio?

Has anyone seen the back of the '05 6-disk stereo? I am wondering how i am going to connect my amp to the CD player (doubting it has RCA plugs). I dont want to get a new cd player because the one it comes with looks beautiful in the dash.

Its a monoblock amp so i only need one channel. Are there possibly wiring harness' that have RCA outputs on them to connect something like this? Any suggestions?

You need a hi to low level converter.

They are not the most clean sounding items but if you are using it for a sub out put you will be ok. IF you do use one I would grab the lines off the back speakers so you you can fade it to the rear. If you did not already have the amp you could buy one that has a converter built in.

Let me see if I can find you a picture of a converter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Legacy-LN60-Hi-To-Low-Converter-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ5748872736QQcategoryZ1498QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You wire in the spearker wires to the (I would just use some red taps) box and it turns them in to a rca. there are adjustment screws you can use on the box to match impedance (acts like a gain).

The best way to adjust them is to turn your amps gain to about 1/4 -1/2 and then adjust the screws for proper volume.

That is the layman's way of doing it.

Welcome to the board!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Legacy-LN60-Hi-To-Low-Converter-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ5748872736QQcategoryZ1498QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You wire in the spearker wires to the (I would just use some red taps) box and it turns them in to a rca. there are adjustment screws you can use on the box to match impedance (acts like a gain).

The best way to adjust them is to turn your amps gain to about 1/4 -1/2 and then adjust the screws for proper volume.

That is the layman's way of doing it.

Welcome to the board!!

Hey thanks a lot! That will help me get my system in much faster. Maybe I will just access the wires as they come out of the stereo, because then i wouldnt have to try and hide the converter by the door; I could just stick it behind the dash. Thanks again!

Make sure you do not put the power and the RCAs on the same side. You could get some serious engine noise if you do. Its always a safe bet to run the power and rca on different sides of the car.

I was planning on that, but i appreciate the info. I love this car!!!

ONE MORE THING...Any idea on where to connect the small 'power on' cable for the AMP? Or should there be an output from the stereo that has that 5v or 12v on it? Thanks again...

On my wagon i took the +12 ACC On line from the back of the stereo and put a switch on it so when the grandma is in the back i can turn my sub off. Some head units have a dedicated line for remote amp power on, if not you can just use the radio's power on +12v.

KELTIK