Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi to this board. HG job list, '97 obw

Hi, been posting on the Older Gen board, have a '97 OBW that needs a HG change. What's the "job list" for this? I'm pulling the engine, so might as well get it all done while it's out. Auto trans if it matters, and 93k.

From what I've gathered, I should do:

HG's

cam seals

rear crank seal

timing belt

oil pump o-ring? part of oh gasket set?

oil separater plate? part of oh gasket set?

edit: water pump

edit: check all tensioner bearings

Parts needed are:

Overhaul gasket set

Valve cover gaskets (not included in OH kit)

Spark plug gaskets (not included in OH kit)

timing belt

autotrans fluid

oil separater plate

edit: water pump

More could be done, but what's really necessary at 93K?

Monte

I had this happen and replaced everything that involved pulling the engine out! more info available on request.............cost me about 1800 buck swith labor and parts, i know a great mechanic in portland if you are around there, let me know, thanks--David

Hi, been posting on the Older Gen board, have a '97 OBW that needs a HG change. What's the "job list" for this? I'm pulling the engine, so might as well get it all done while it's out. Auto trans if it matters, and 93k.

From what I've gathered, I should do:

HG's

cam seals

rear crank seal

timing belt

oil pump o-ring? part of oh gasket set?

oil separater plate? part of oh gasket set?

Parts needed are:

Overhaul gasket set

Valve cover gaskets (not included in OH kit)

Spark plug gaskets (not included in OH kit)

timing belt

autotrans fluid

oil separater plate

More could be done, water pump, oil pump, etc., but what's really necessary at 93K?

Monte

I'd do the water pump, might save you going back in there next year. And of course the crank front seal, and check all the spinning bits on the front of the engine for bearing problems.

Can't you get a gasket set for the head job only? Or do you have to buy a full engine overhaul set?

I'd do the water pump, might save you going back in there next year. And of course the crank front seal, and check all the spinning bits on the front of the engine for bearing problems.

Can't you get a gasket set for the head job only? Or do you have to buy a full engine overhaul set?

I was going by Skip's parts list here, he stated it was less expensive to get the OH kit instead of buying the pieces. If I do a water pump, oil pump o-ring, cam seals, crank seals, etc., he's probably right. If I was just doing the HG I'd just get those gaskets.

Monte

do the water pump if you're doing the timing belts. belts are good for 100,000 miles so you won't be going back in there anytime soon. otherwise you're relying on the stock water pump to go 200,000 before you get to the next timing belt/water pump install. do it all now and hopefully you're good for the next 100,000 miles. check all the timing belt pulleys, replace any that are loose or noisey for the same reason....if the water pump or the bearings fail they take the timing belt with it and this is an interference engine.

do the water pump if you're doing the timing belts. belts are good for 100,000 miles so you won't be going back in there anytime soon. otherwise you're relying on the stock water pump to go 200,000 before you get to the next timing belt/water pump install. do it all now and hopefully you're good for the next 100,000 miles. check all the timing belt pulleys, replace any that are loose or noisey for the same reason....if the water pump or the bearings fail they take the timing belt with it and this is an interference engine.

Good call, I hadn't looked at the water pump in that way. 200k does sound like a lot of miles for a water pump.

Monte

Stupid question time: When you pull the engine, does the transmission stay in the car? How about the torque convertor - does it stay on the trans, or the engine when the two are split?

(It's been a long time since I've done anything like this and never on a Subaru)

/kthanks

Stupid question time: When you pull the engine, does the transmission stay in the car? How about the torque convertor - does it stay on the trans, or the engine when the two are split?

(It's been a long time since I've done anything like this and never on a Subaru)

/kthanks

The transmission stays with the car. My auto trans experience is with a Ford, the torque convertor stayed with the engine, I'm thinking the Subaru is the same. Not sure there's a way to detach the TC from the engine before pulling the engine, though I hope I can.

Monte