Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grinding the head

How long do you run the engine before retorquing?

How often do you find some loose, when you do the retorquing? I know, _once_ is enough to convince me it needs doing.

I'm getting hopeful again.

Subaru specs are to just let it get warm once. I like to run them for a week or so. No more than 500 miles.

Retorquing is done with the engine cold. It's awkward to get the socket through the cam case past the valves, but can be done. I remove the oil tube above the rockers, but subaru doesn't say to do it(maybe they have thinner extensions?)

Remove valve covers. Specs are to loosen the 3 passenger side intake bolts by 60 degrees, but not more.

Then for each head, start with the bolt at the center of the head. #1 in the torquing sequence diagrams if you have it. Loosen it slightly.turn it back and forth in a range of about 60 degrees a few times, then torque to spec(47 ft/lbs.) Repeat going criss cross, top to bottom out towards the edge. After doing all bolts resnug #1 to spec if it needs it. Subaru says to apply oil at the bolt head after loosening, but before the retorque. However the heads so oily already I don't find a need.

Tighten all intake bolts to 16 ft/lbs( I go a wee bit tighter)

Reinstall oil tubes and valves covers.

Drive with retorqued confidence.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... It's awkward to get the socket through the cam case past the valves, but can be done. ....

Drive with retorqued confidence.

I once, somewhere, saw a post about actually cutting down a socket, shortening it so it would fit into that space and still hold the bolt.

I guess you'd want a six-sided socket and a very precise ratchet.

I saw a digital torque wrench used recently (at LIC, in Marin). It spoke aloud when it reached the right torque! Impressive---they said it's a lot more precise than watching the needle on a bendy bar.

So, how often can you tell they're loose, when you retorque heads? One on every vehicle, or ....??

Most need about 10 degrees extra in the end. Just a few need more and not more than about 45-60 degrees more, 1/8 to 1/6th of a turn. Using a calibrated click type torque wrench.

Here's the old post about customizing a socket to make this easier -- it used to have pictures, no longer linked -- it still has the description of how to cut down a standard socket so it will fit in to retorque the heads without having to remove as much else, and a part number supposedly for something Subaru made for the same purpose that might or might not still be available form a third party.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12239&page=2

and page 3 and page 4 of that.