Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, I've got a friend with an 89 Legacy. Its got an Carbed EJ18, and the ever fun Dual range AWD.

But anyway, he had been telling me it had been running rough and nearly dieing at cold. I sort of thought it might have been something to do with the auto choke or coolant temp sensor (do these even have one of those?)

He reakons its been getting worse lately, running rough all the time and backfiring down hills etc.

A mechanic took a quick look at it for him and he now says that his carb is just fawked pretty much....

Anyway, a search has pretty much told me that carbed ej18s aren't common I think?

Any info on these things would be cool. At the moment hes thinking of just replacing it with a carb from the wreckers.

Thanks in Advance!

Are you sure it's a fuel problem?

Try adjusting the mixture. We used to detach the vacuum hose from the carb when we set the idle mixture. It's much easier with the hose off.

Could be worth dismantling and clean the carb, before searching for a "new" one.