Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Subaru's, having driven Honda wagons my whole life. They're getting harder to find in manual-tranny, so I'm finally considering purchasing a Subaru. I found the following subaru at my local dealer, so am wondering if anyone has any comments on the price at all and what to look out for. I feel like it's a good year, and in OK shape, but may be high miles...

1999 Subaru Legacy Brighton SE

2.2L 4-cyl

5-speed manual

power windows/locks

cruise control

am/fm/cd stereo

220,000km

$4470CAD after taxes, certification, emissions tests; ie on the road for this price.

-there is no maintenance history for the vehicle

-interior is cloth, and in OK condition (some dirt, but no holes, tears, or scratches)

-exterior is grey, and also in OK condition. there are about a 20-30 dings on the hood from stone chips which are beginning to rust

-a/c does not work; dealer says it needs a refill, but it may need more

-the check engine light is on, and the speedometer works sometimes and other times does not. I think a cable may be loose somewhere.

-there is no tach which is a bit of a bummer.

Questions:

-is this a good price for the vehicle?

-what should I inspect on the car?

-I'm planning on doing a major road trip with the car (5000km+). Any thoughts on whether or not a Subaru of this mileage/year would make it?

-would it be hard to find a tach from a junkyard and put it in? Would I have to change the whole gauge cluster?

Thanks.

That seems like a reasonable price, but there are some unknowns.

There is no speedo cable, just sensors. So either the speed sensor is going, wiring has an issue or the gauge cluster is going. The check engine light may be related to that issue, but I'd try and verify what codes are stored.

If you want a tach, you'd probably have to swap gauge clusters.

The a/c, if it just needs a refill, it shouldn't be too much, however I'd be suspicious just like you.

The motor is a good motor, and if it's been taken care of should be fine. There are some things that sound like they need fixing, which may or may not make it worthwhile to you.

I'd also recommend checking out the legacy forum on nasioc http://forums.nasioc.com/forums