Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 OBS is a 2.5L and yes it is a good motor. VERY EARLY 2003's were in the WWP099 program for coolant sealer ( this is the external leak ). There you must go by VIN number. Ask the dealer if any or all recalls were done, and ask which ones. Recall was for SOHC 2.5L 99-02 and some very early 03's.

Is this at Liberty (Oradell), Ramsey or another dealer?

Is this at Liberty (Oradell), Ramsey or another dealer?

Ramsey Subaru on 17S.

I test-drove it today. Didn't like it. The brakes felt very unresponsive, and there was too much of a "tapping" sound while accelerating (something about piston-alignment, maybe). The hood's latch won't secure shut properly. They'd fix that before sale, but I'm definitely not "in love" with the feel of it enough to dump some savings and start making some payments.

Sounds like you already made a decision, but I think that price was too high anyway.

In '03 we paid $17K for a brand new no miles 03 TS (basically same car). Now at 25K miles it has developed the tapping noise on cold startup that pretty much all Subies have, not necessarily a cause for concern. My 97 has done it for years.

I think you can find a better deal, consider the TS too as they'll be cheaper and are 95% the same car, yet more aesthetically pleasing IMO. My two pennies.

Steve

I think that price was too high anyway.

Maybe, but I don't see them listed cheaper among dealerships that will warranty anything.

That was the third OBS I tested. The other two were new '06 models. I like the car, but just not enough to pay for it. I think I just need to to hold out, rack up some savings, and try some larger Subarus. (My girlfriend makes fun of me whenever I talk about it, but I have a thing for Bajas.)