Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 1800 RX Turbo

Welcome to the wonderful world of Subaru RX owners. Your turbo, if stock, can produce about 15psi before it maxes out. I have seen 25psi run through it but you can imagine how badly this little turbo is struggling. Second, you'll crack a head before you crack a block, unless you get a rod knock of course. They like to crack normally in between the valve seats but that is fairly common and is fine unless the crack gets big. Also, they like to crack a water passage into the exhaust as well, which is also a faily common problem. It'll still run fine but will eat coolant bad. Also, blowing headgaskets is another major problem. Have you done any modifications like bolt on performance? There are a handful of us runnin a TD04 from a WRX, with a WRX top mount intercooler (or front mount like subyrally, rallyruss and gravelRX), plus a lot of other things like exhaust, intakes, cams, suspension conversions and the sort. Good luck with your car!

if you arent already, make sure you use only premium fuel (91 octane and up) or race gas! dont think youll have to worry about boosting too much unless youve installed a boost controller. the fuel cut will let you know when youve gone past the cars limits. make sure a boost gauge is installed to keep tabs on things.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Subaru RX owners. Your turbo, if stock, can produce about 15psi before it maxes out. I have seen 25psi run through it but you can imagine how badly this little turbo is struggling. Second, you'll crack a head before you crack a block, unless you get a rod knock of course. They like to crack normally in between the valve seats but that is fairly common and is fine unless the crack gets big. Also, they like to crack a water passage into the exhaust as well, which is also a faily common problem. It'll still run fine but will eat coolant bad. Also, blowing headgaskets is another major problem. Have you done any modifications like bolt on performance? There are a handful of us runnin a TD04 from a WRX, with a WRX top mount intercooler (or front mount like subyrally, rallyruss and gravelRX), plus a lot of other things like exhaust, intakes, cams, suspension conversions and the sort. Good luck with your car!

Hey great info thanks for your help

if you arent already, make sure you use only premium fuel (91 octane and up) or race gas! dont think youll have to worry about boosting too much unless youve installed a boost controller. the fuel cut will let you know when youve gone past the cars limits. make sure a boost gauge is installed to keep tabs on things.

I could run 91 most the time.... would it be ok to throw some 119 in there? heh

I could run 91 most the time.... would it be ok to throw some 119 in there? heh

er, i dont think that would be good if you still have cats and the o2 sensor (that is if 119 is leaded). i think sonoco makes a 100 or 101 octane.