Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 Subaru GL Wagon retrofitting options

avon

I've got a 4x4 Subaru wagon, 1.8l carb with the 4wd hi/lo 5spd transmission. My mind has been wandering and I've been thinking of ways to get a more powerful vehicle. I've been looking through this site and I've got some questions:

What engine / transmissions work the best? Do any "bolt in"? I'm assuming that custom half axles would need to be made and the rear driveshaft modified? Anybody played with the megasquirt system instead of sticking with the subaru ECU?

I'd like to get as much information including pictures of people that have already done this so I can make some decisions.

Thanks in advance.

well you will get the old use the search answer.

it is possible to swap in a EA82T or EJ motor. there are plenty of details to be worked out with either swap.

usually its simpler to purchase a car that already has a turbo stock.

it all depends on how much time you want to spend getting dirty and chasing down parts.

I have a similar question.

My 1987 EFI Subaru GL wagon 1 wheel drive blew an engine. I want to know what swaps can go in with little(or preferable no effort). Will an EJ20 go in without having to modify much?

And if so, where is a reputable place to get reliable motors?

My 1987 EFI Subaru GL wagon 1 wheel drive blew an engine. I want to know what swaps can go in with little(or preferable no effort)...

Any similar EA82 engine. (Head-casting/intake differences between MPFI and SPFI, so stay with what you have.) Ancillaries vary, including distributors, but engine castings are the same.

Anything newer than the EA82-series require effort: MAJOR wiring changes, adaptors for engine to tranny or engine/tranny to unibody, etc.

BTW, in what way did you "blow the engine"?

Any similar EA82 engine. (Head-casting/intake differences between MPFI and SPFI, so stay with what you have.) Ancillaries vary, including distributors, but engine castings are the same.

Anything newer than the EA82-series require effort: MAJOR wiring changes, adaptors for engine to tranny or engine/tranny to unibody, etc.

BTW, in what way did you "blow the engine"?

Oil pump failed when I was on I90.