Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Outback keyless and windshield Q's

So I picked up a keyless control box from an outback at the jyard. I was so suprised they even had a outback there....its the first one I ever saw there. It has a cold weather package, so I want to grap the controls for the heated windshield. Is this even possibile??

The keyless control box was just laying there with a white wire coming out of it. i am guessing the wire is for the program button. Now, when I opened my lower dash up I couldn't find any wires/plugs that could plug into the box

You'll need the complete keyless entry kit components to add it to your car. Your 96 requires an additional power lock actuator to be installed in the driver's door along with the addition of two wires from the keyless module to the actuator in the door. Depending on the year of the Outback in the junkyard, it may/may not have the actuator you need, as 97-98 Legacies have a different power lock system from the 95-96. The 99 Legacy has a totally different keyless entry system from a different manufacturer that was standard on all Legacies and Outbacks (except the Brighton), and it probably won't readily interface with previous model years. By the time you buy the junkyard module, the keyless remotes off Ebay, fiddle with the wiring, and find the correct actuator, it's probably just better to buy the whole kit brand new from Subaru. It's only about $60. I've got the kit part number if you need it. The programming button should be a black button on a thick tape-wrapped cord that is attached to the module. You also definitely need the wiring harnesses that plug into the module and interface with the car's wiring.

You need the windshield with the heating element and all the wiring that connects to it, including the switch, to add it to your car. The heating element comes applied to the windsheld from the factory, or at least it does on other makes car. It's not something you can remove from the windshield of a donor car and install in your car. You might stand a better chance retrofitting the heated seats or the heated mirrors if you want some of the features of the Cold Weather Package, but I think you're pretty much guaranteed to have to replace the windshield to get the heating elements, and there's no guarantee the JY windshield heating elements work. It would be ashame to replace the whole windshield and find the elements are broken.

Hope this helps!

Yes it does. Thanks. I already have the cold weather pckg. but its a '96, so no heated ws, but it was replaced in Nov., so I am not going to bother. I definately want that part # for the keyless. My drivers door lock is starting to act up.

I got a little ambtious with it being the first outback I have ever seen out there, wich makes that, the second 95+ subaru I have ever seen there.

If your doors are starting to lock randomly, the keyless entry actuator seems to solve the problem. In my 95, all the doors save the driver's would lock themselves randomly, and I determined the problem was a little free movement of the linkage inside the driver's door triggering the actuator switch. Putting in the keyless actuator seemed to stop the jiggling of the linkage.

The part number for the keyless kit is H7110AS000. If you want to go all the way, you can also add the security alarm upgrade, H7110AS600, which I think is only about $25 now. The keyless entry system won't "beep" when you press the buttons without the security upgrade.

My actuall locks work great. Its my driver side door lock barrell, locking it from the outside can be a hassle sometimes. I usually have to wiggle the key around a lil bit to get it to do what I want. A keyless entry would solve all the hassle and the cold/rainy weather.