Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simple Timing Belt Install Question!!!

So I've done the timing belt install about 5 times now and it still wont start!! I was just talking to a friend and he thought the alt needed to be spinning to engage the fuel pump? Is this right? Will it or will it not start without the alt belt installed?? 87 loyal 1.8 carb auto nonturbo...

Thanks...

I fired up a Loyale with a loose crank pulley bolt and it ran until the battery died, so I doubt if the alternator belt is the problem. The fuel pump is electric so the belt doesn't run it.

Are you sure you put the timing belts on right?

Is it doing anything when you try to start it? Is it even turning over?

I fired up a Loyale with a loose crank pulley bolt and it ran until the battery died, so I doubt if the alternator belt is the problem. The fuel pump is electric so the belt doesn't run it.

Are you sure you put the timing belts on right?

Is it doing anything when you try to start it? Is it even turning over?

It acts like it wants to start.. it turns over and pops like it's back firing.. the belts look perf to me!! when I set the dist back in where should the rotor be pointing?

Ah, the distributor was out? If you can find TDC on the #1 piston, then point the rotor at the #1 plug wire in the cap, that should do it. You might want to do a search to see how to find TDC--I can't remember how to do it offhand. It should also say how to do it in any Subaru manual.

If you get the distributor pointing the right way, and the cam sprocket holes are pointing 1 up and 1 down with the flywheel pointing at the middle line (not 0--I made this mistake the first time I did the belts), it should fire right up.

Did you take the distributor out to fix or replace it, or for another reason?