Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats the general opinion of Fram parts? i.e oil filters, air filters etc. This might be better in the off topic section but as the parts are gonna be fitted to a new gen vehicle - here seemed good.

Here in New Zealand i have a massive choice of Fram parts from Super Cheap Auto, Repco brand parts from Repco or OEM parts from the stealership. As my car is due for a 30,000 mile service, what supplier should i go with. I know to go OEM for ignition parts and Castrol for oil.

Any help appreciated.

Whats the general opinion of Fram parts? i.e oil filters, air filters etc. This might be better in the off topic section but as the parts are gonna be fitted to a new gen vehicle - here seemed good.

Here in New Zealand i have a massive choice of Fram parts from Super Cheap Auto, Repco brand parts from Repco or OEM parts from the stealership. As my car is due for a 30,000 mile service, what supplier should i go with. I know to go OEM for ignition parts and Castrol for oil.

Any help appreciated.

Stay away from their oil filters, they are made of paper and can blow under pressure.

Read this

I believe it's also pretty well known that fram oil filters lack backflow check valves to prevent oil from draining from the filter after engine shutdown. This can mean dry starts that may cause a little extra wear over time. Brands like Purolator and generally all OEM filter have this valve. Aside from that, I've used their air filters without a problem, their fuel filters are probably ok too.

Ok well im going to avoid Fram filters. Now i have the option of OEM stuff from the stealership or Repco filters. Any kiwis on the board have an opinion on the Repco stuff?

Also the dealer wants $175 for a set of Ignition leads, the aftermarket places cant get any. I know its a Honda but that cant be right can it?

Do the leads really need replacing? I currently have no engine problems but im a big fan of preventative maintenance.

I believe it's also pretty well known that fram oil filters lack backflow check valves to prevent oil from draining from the filter after engine shutdown.

This is a non-issue on Subie engines. The filter is mounted upside-down. It may siphon out once in a while, but even an anti-drainback valve won't prevent this.

I still avoid Fram like the plague, though. Cardboard and glue construction. No thanks...........

The ADBV isn't a brand-specific thing. Some part numbers specify an ADBV, others don't ...including Fram.

The Purolator L14460 that I use doesn't have one ...the Subaru OEM fiter (made by Purolator) DOES have one.

The sump is the lowest point in the system and the oil pump moves the oil uphill from there. After shutoff, gravity does siphon the oil backwards through the stationary oil pump clearances, back through the filter media, back into the sump. How long does that take? I dunno. The filter orientation doesn't affect it.

Whether the ADBV is critical is debatable, but it sure can't hurt.

-Learsi