Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy turbo on non-turbo Sube?

stinkypete

Its not really worth it man....the performance gains over the non turbo are not very substantial and there is alot to do I.E wiring, sensors, new dash, ecu.....and so on....it would be cheaper and easier to just go and bye a legacy turbo.....and bye the way....the most reliable turbo engine is the 2.2 wrx engine (i know it has an open deck)

and bye the way....the most reliable turbo engine is the 2.2 wrx engine (i know it has an open deck)

the WRX has never had a 2.2l engine (that i know of). it has always been a 2.0l, JDM 1993 till present, USDM 2000 till 2006 in 2006 it went to a 2.5l, the USDM STI has always been a 2.5l.

but the "most reliable" trubo engine is up for debate...

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru/images/ej22t

Depending on how far you want to go to either "refresh"/rebuild the motor and how much you get your parts from, it may be cheaper to try and find a turbo legacy.

I've got probably around $6-$7k invested in rebuilding the motor, and upgrading parts. The swap can be done for a lot less if you retain the stock parts, and just swap things over.

Wiring is actually pretty easy. You just have to move the coolant temp sensors on your existing engine harness (just take apart the harness loom and re-tape. The only other things are wiring up the turbo specific sensors to the ECU connectors, and swapping the positive leads for the cam & crank sensors. Since your car is a 92, you may have to deal with the AT/MT identifier pin because subaru for some reason changed things in 92.

I've got more wiring details on my swap on www.bbs.legacycentral.org in the electrical forum

Its not really worth it man....the performance gains over the non turbo are not very substantial and there is alot to do I.E wiring, sensors, new dash, ecu.....and so on....it would be cheaper and easier to just go and bye a legacy turbo.....and bye the way....the most reliable turbo engine is the 2.2 wrx engine (i know it has an open deck)

Only 2.2 turbo motor in the US is a 91-94 Legacy turbo

The 22B had it as well ( different motor, but same size), but we didn't get that here.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I think two 22b's have made their way over here. I have seen the pics. Also, Subaru of America imported 22b #13 for use as a press car.

But yes, very rare. Only about 420 (give or take) were ever made.